June kind of crept on us and built up into a joyous crescendo.
We visited Iman at college twice this month. The first time to send her back to college, the second - I was compelled to return to update her wardrobe and room a bit. Brought her a set of linen and proper towels, some throw cushions, a mat for her floor, a simple earthern pot that would keep fruits and food fresh and cool in her room. A dozen green apples, M&Ms. Vitamins. Some Greek and Egyptian mini books...and black and white family photos...we were done. What can I say, Iman's college dormitory Initially broke my heart. Irani and Ilena too felt sorry for their sister. But I was kind of okay after the girls, Bik and I put together our decorating touch. Then we had nasi lemak with sambal sotong, Iman's preferred sambal.
After that, we went to the beach at Morib. It was a great time for the girls who just love playing in the water.
The next week, our favourite garden table and chair were stolen. It was a sad thing to happen, that garden set had been part of years of wonderful memories. Bik who tried to shout the thieves away was quite upset, understandably, that they coolly sped off with the goods right in front of her. To cheer everyone up, I entered the girls in the a'lliance francaise karaoke session. So for about ten days, Irani, Ilena and Ikesha practised their songs to, I must say, perfection! Even Little Ikesha! But I must say Irani did really really well, memorising Loin de froid de decembre in two days.
Inas went to Australia during the school holidays with her father and Ibu. They had a great time. After she came back, I went to see her as she had camp to prepare for. We went out shopping for insect repellent, pills, snacks and a good tough torchlight. She aced her camp and was selected to attend another camp this week to qualify for cadet sargeant. Yay, Inas!
Last week was Rudi's birthday. He turned 35...and the girls made birthday cards. But it was a really busy week, with events, paperwork and school getting in the way of good old fashioned birthday celebrations.
The weekend finally arrived. We went to see Ilena's std One teacher Cikgu Nurbaya who excitedly told us Ilena got first place in class! Well done! Then we went to see Irani's teacher, Sir Zeffri. He was happy with Irani's science for which she scored highest in class but she needed to work on her BM and Math. Altogether, I was quite happy because Irani, Ilena and Ikesha were working hard on their homework I leave for them daily. But Ilena dropped a bomb. She proudly announced that her homework was too easy, she was clever enough and did not want to do her homework anymore!
Wow! I was upset. Bik was too. And when her father got home, he was pretty mad too. He sternly told her to study. But I decided to rope in Iman for this 'counselling' sessionas well. Iman is revered by the sisters as THE brainy one in the family - with teachers, friends and everybody constantly repeating this, Iman has dutifully portrayed the collegiate look. Iman had a one to one with Ilena on the phone and at the end of it, Ilena conceded that she would start her homework again.
Ikesha is drawing really well. Bicycles, fairies, the family become real pretty drawings. Mermaids and cats too. I forget that she's only 4 plus! It was her Sports Day last Saturday and boy! the girl ran her relays well - and got two gold medals. But the best thing was her march past. Left, right, left right. Bik actually cried...
This week we also followed the girls for an excursion. It started with the Museum of Islamic Arts. Irani and Ilena took the bus, Ikesha followed both of us in the car. The Museum was amazing. The girls did the Museum Safari where the kids looked for animals in the artifacts. There was a duck on a four hundred year old plate, dragons on a mosque replica, wolf on a vase and a bird carving in an ancient slipper. Twenty animals to look for actually. One of the Museum guides adopted Ikesha for the day and helped Ikesha with her Museum Safari -all the kids had a marvelous time!
Then we drove to a resort by a lovely river. We had lunch and after a rest, splashed and frolicked in the cool water. Rudi caught a little crab and some fishes which he let go immediately after. It was two hours of fun fun and more fun. Ikesha drew a lovely picture of herself standing on the stones and a streaming waterfall. After a shower and changing, we said goodbye to everyone and left the resort by car. We decided to watch a movie and saw Green Lantern. The kids loved it...After that, we decided to go Petaling Street and Daddy gave the girls a small budget to buy one item each. Ikesha was too sleepy and had to be carried. It was a bit scary, the night market, but Ilena chose to buy a small telescope ('I need a bigger one to see the moon and Mars' she said) and Irani bought a lovely pocket watch for RM 10! I loved their choices. When we got home, it was close to midnight. We had a wonderful day and Bik had a lovely rest at home.
Today, we took it easy. Rudi jogged while the rest of us cycled this evening. I took Ikesha on my bike, and for a while, she held on to me tightly. After a while, she let go a bit, shouting, 'See Mak. Tak jatuh pun!' Oh, I hope I never forget her cute expressions.
Really?
Let's go over and there.
I like Barbie Diamond Castle.
Ikesha habis main Ipad, baru Mak main.
After that, Iman's friend from school, Gorky came by on his motorbike. He wanted to ask about MyIndians.com, a volunteer group I am involved in. Gorky then asked about Jen, that's Iman, and I told him all I get from Iman is that she is in a lecture, she's doing her assignments, she's in study discussions. And Gorky said, 'That sounds like Jen alright!'
I also spent some time remembering Michael Jackson, with his songs aIred all throughout this weekend on the radio. 50 years of Michael Jackson they said. I grew up listening to Michael's song since I was ten! I remember my 11 year old neighbour in St Catharines dancing to PYT. Ben, Human Nature, Remember the time...many many songs...videos...concert in Toronto..Farah singing Bad when she was two, the girls loving MJ as much as I do...a lifetime of memories.
But tonight we settled into our favorite pasttime. I read the girls, again, Harold and the purple crayon and A hat for Ivan. And they dozed off to sleep.
June is just about to end, and we look forward to July.
2 comments:
Excellent insight of your lovely family happening.. Looks like everything falls in right places Alhamdulillah :)..
July will be Syaaban..bulan Rasul.. the month for us to prepare for Ramadahan - bulan Umat Muhammad.. Looking forward to July;))
June seems quite a month for you and the children. It must prety taxing if most months are like that. My days with children are long gone, and, perhaps, I have forgotten those hectic days as you nicely described.
You see I know I can post a comment here for sure , not the other type of comment entry format.
Post a Comment