Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Beraya with Kak Ross


Kak Ross is a very dear friend whom I have known since my teen years at Sekolah Seri Puteri, a residential school in Kuala Lumpur. On the last day of Ramadhan, after a whirlwind visit to the Museum, a quick view of the Kelantan Palace, not knowing all the excitement that was to occur in the following days and a trip to PCB beach, we drove over to Kak Ross's place in Kota Bharu. It was a lovely reunion and a chance to introduce our grown children to each other. I also got to contact Kak Ani Haroun! Ahhh, it was heavenly.

Seri Puteri, earlier known as Sekolah Menengah Perempuan Jalan Kolam Air, was established in 1968 annd her first headmistress was none other than Adibah Amin, the celebrated journalist.

When we were at SSP, we were under the watchful eyes of the strict Headmistress Puan Zainab. The school band was where Kak Ross and I met - she was the band's drum major, I was a mere drummer. A normal weekly routine would be band practice 3 days a week and often during school hols, we would sacrifice the term break and stay back to practice for Merdeka Day.

But SSP was more than a school, it was where we made lasting friendships. I was also a gymnast and poet who contributed monthly without fail to the English bulletin, The Grapevine ran by us students under the guidance of my English teacher and gymnastic coach for five years, Mrs Khaw Choon Ean.

SSP forever!

3 comments:

Wan Sharif said...

Hmm,
Now where are we?..I am sure we are not in Rantau Panjang, and from the tired look of the children.. long haul travel??

ninotaziz said...

Oh this was in Kota Bharu. After the museum and beach escapade.

And Irani was fasting!

annell4 said...

Interesting that your choose that word, heavenly. For some heaven is the place we will meet old friend? Wonderful memories! Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails