Iman was hard at work this December, as the final lap to SPM came to a grinding halt. She was satisfied with her efforts, regreted a few mistakes. Whatever happens, I am proud of her for her determination to do well, and yet willingness to help her friends too was quite inspirational.
I had kids in the house studying together, sprawled in my living room studying biology, physics etc. The phone would be ringing and there would be exchanges of math equations and solutions. Discussions. Stopping only for a drink or food.
And the Harry Potter movie.
Finally it was all over on 8th December. I had a garden BBQ the very same night and all her classmates and friends came by. It was a relaxing and fun release for the seniors. There must have been close to forty kids and a few adults. My mum helped chaperone as well, and I kept going round making sure no couples escape anywhere, no smoking and no holding hands. No going upstairs.
Actually I needn't have worried. They were all well behaved. The kids also organised the BBQ pit themselves in turn. They made sure rubbish went into the rubbish bin. At about 10.00pm, the guitar and violin came out. Wonderful music in the garden.
It was a lovely evening.
Last weekend, Iman and Inas went out to check the University exhibitions currently on-going with their father. Iman felt much better about her choices. Inas was more determined than ever she wants to do architecture. Iman was ecstatic that even the private colleges told her with her trial results, she can apply for scholarships for sure. A few months back, I had visited Taylor's University By The Lake and loved it. Iman went over the weekend and was enthusiastic (that's mild) - she went on and on about how it felt to be in the lecture hall, how the facilitators spoke to them like young adults - it is going to be exciting watching this young lady grow...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must mention - as soon as her SPM was over, I reminded Iman to thank Bik Een who really made life much easier for all of us. For cooking for her, for washing her clothes, for all the little things she does day in day out for the last five years. For cooking extra when her friends come by. And I was glad to know Iman already thanked Bik for all her care.
3 comments:
I so love these glimpses into your wonderfully rich life. You are a wonderful mother, and your daughters are so so lucky. What a wonderful foundation you are giving them for their life. It sounds like Iman's university is exceptional. I look forward to more bulletins from your very interesting and richly wonderful life:)
Why is it I felt like a grandpa who are so eager to know about Iman and Inas...? Luckily my children are still schooling.. if not I would have believe that I am already a grandpa..
Thank you for your wonderful post..
entertaining your children and their friends at your place.. such a rich experience..
There is a world of difference between the life of your lucky children, and mine too for that matter,and those I see mornings and afternoons in my part of the world today. For these less fortunate children I envy the life you have beautifully described. They struggled and sat for the same exam but their future is a total blank, uncharted - what will be will be, que sera sera.
I wish your Iman all the best.
Post a Comment