Friday, April 16, 2010

From Culture Club to Lady Gaga



Having to drive alone back from work on a Friday night was not an exciting prospect. I didn't feel like listening to the radio. I figured it was better if I say few prayers to so that I will reach home safely. After all, it was a one hour drive at least and as I hit the highway I could see all the super-sized trucks dominating the roads leaving KL into the dark night ahead.

Finally, I switched on the radio - Mix FM. It was some kind of medley and Radio Gaga was on. Soon, it kind of melshed into the soothing rhythm of MJ's Liberian Girl! I was in 80s haven surely. So much has been said about the powerful music from the era especially for the ladies, from Eurythmics Sweetdreams to Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill. Cyndi Lauper made me cry with Time After Time. The one song that kept me smiling was Madonna's La Isla Bonita. From across the Atlantic, Nena burst into the scene with 99 Red Balloons.

My first ever single though was The BOSS's Dancing in the Dark.

From UK - Sting as the clever and cynical genius with his upbeat Englishman In New York to his dark Moon Over Bourbon Street and political sensitive Russian led the pack with megastars David Bowie, Phil Collins, Argentinian British Chris De Burgh, Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones. But the phenomenal New Wave trend-setter was Culture Club surely.

Let's not forget the Canadian greats. The first ever Celine Dion number I heard was On traverse un miroir. There was Corey Hart and great bands like Eight Seconds, Platinum Blonde and Luba who opened for Bryan Adams in concert. I consider Eight Seconds cutting edge 80s especially their I'll Kiss You (When It's Dangerous)

It was the age of bands, from New Wave Kajagoogoo to Tears For Fears to Thompson Twins. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet and Level 42. Rock bands Scorpions, Bon Jovi and Van Halen were simply rocking you like a hurricane. Let's not forget Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night, Petshop Boys and . And where do you place Naked Eyes and Crowded House?

But the band I loved the most was Depeche Mode - A Question Of Lust, Strangelove and Black Celebration just called to my unknown "gothic" side. The music of the 80s was really about music and lyrics. A Question of Lust is incredibly tender despite its title.

FragileLike a baby in your arms
Be gentle with me
I'd never willingly do you harm

Just like a child
You make me smile
When you care for me

It's a question of lust
It's a question of trust.....
It's a question of not letting
What we've built up
Crumble to dust
It is all of these things and more
That keep up together......

Whether the theme was love, politics, war, good old fashion fun or science-fiction [remember Kate Bush's Cloudbusting] the MTV videos made music the new form of story-telling. Artiste finally could tell a story to complement their music.

The Mix-FM medley ended with Gazebo's I love Chopin. Can't get more 80s than that!

And today - where are the bands? I think Pink and Lady Gaga are the best among the ladies. But they won't last unless the songs begin to evolve. The rest - they are the product of mega talentime shows - albeit very profitable - who did not stay in that cold one room flat with bandmates and survived to tell the tale in raw emotion and music. Or had to wear leotards with pins and pose for Playboy to get a break. Sing for 320 performances out of 365 days a year or else be harshly scolded by a domineering father, out to get all his money's, and sons' worth.

I love Adam Young though. I hope he will last long in the business. Jason Myraz and Colbie Caillat. Mark Anthony and Jennifer Lopez are probably the Brangelina of the music industry. And fans of Jason Castro, please stand up!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails