Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Name Is Khan

A couple of months ago, I received an email urging me to watch the movie, My Name Is Khan.

However, I was busy and caught up in work and the girls' schedule and exams, I put the thought out of my mind. Then, this weekend, while buying Aidil Fitri dresses in Jalan Masjid India, I passed by a CD shop and saw the DVD on sale. On a whim, I bought it. But, in the midst of break fast and more shopping (how blessed we are in Malaysia), I still could not find the time to watch the movie. These epic movies are full length and notoriously long. Finally, Rudi came to remind me, "You want to watch My Name Is Khan now?" So we did.

The story is about Rizvan Khan, who lived with his mother, Ammi, a wonderful woman who was determined to help Rizvan overcome his obvious difficulties. She did not know it but Rizvan had Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism. The movie shows how Ammi taught Rizvan the basic important things in life, wisdom that would guide him later on in life. He met an amazing woman, Mandrai and her son Sameer and married her. She was Hindu and Rizvan's only brother rejected her.

Three scenes strike me the most.

The first, was a scene where Rizvan's village was caught in the crossline of hate between the Muslims and the Hindus. Someone shouted bigotry chants which Rizvan automatically repeated ceaselessly. Ammi took him aside, drew a matchstick man beating a boy, and another giving the boy a lollipop. Then she asked him, "Which is the Muslim and which is the Hindu?" to which he replied," There's no difference. They both look the same." Ammi's lesson here was there was no difference between people, just their good deeds and bad.

The second took place in a church in Wilhemina, Georgia.

[Six year old Ilena just stopped by with her Bouncy and asked me..."Thoughts - what are those?" I wonder where these questions come from. Now back to the story...]

My second favorite scene took place in Wilhemina, Georgia which had a population of 254 people and 734 cows or something like that.

In the aftermath of 9/11,life changed dramatically for the couple. Sameer was killed in a racial fight at school. Rizvan left his cup of happiness with his wife, Mandari on a mission to see the President of America. His new friend Strange Hair Joel and Mamma Jenna showed Rizvan kindness. Mamma Jenna took Rizvan to church and he told everyone how he loved and lost his step-son Sameer Khan. Strange hair Joel sang the song We will overcome after Rizvan became overcome with emotion, the song Rizvan used to sing with his love, Mandari.

And later, when Wilhemina was hit by a hurricane, Rizvan came back to help Mamma Jenna overcome their crisis, back to the crumbling church.

[And here comes Ikesha, showing me her pink balloon...]

And my third favourite scene is in a mosque in Los Angeles.

A terrorist was trying to recruit followers and told the story of Ibrahim who was willing to sacrifice his son as willed by Allah. As such, Muslims should be ready to shed their blood for the cause. Rizvan stood up and in his stunted speech told the story as his Ammi told him, that the prophet Ibrahim was so convinced of Allah's mercy and compassion he willingly followed Allah's instruction, knowing that his son would be safe.

Two sides of the coin to a well known historical incident by Muslims around the world. It hit me what Rizvan said was the truth we often overlook. Rizvan branded the terrorist a liar and the evil satan.

There were many little instances that make up the moving movie, many agendas and issues portrayed. But most compelling was the lesson that Rizvan's Ammi taught him early in the movie.

That there are no differences between people, just their good deeds and bad.



******

6 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh my goodness! This is an amazingly serendipitous post - you may not have seen mine (Heart Full of Tears) from Friday. I had an especially emotional day that day as a couple of big things were happening and I watched My Name is Khan that night. I spent the last half of the movie in tears and mentioned it in that post. ISNT it an amazingly wonderful film? I LOVE it that films with this message are being made!!! It really gives one hope that the transformation of consciousness IS, in fact, occuring. May it come with godspeed! Thanks for spreading the word about this wonderful film! I wish every single person in the world could be made to watch it. Especially North Americans!!!!!!!!

ninotaziz said...

Dear Sherry,
I just came back from your post and was floored. I love the fact that we both saw My Name Is Khan aand loved it!

Wan Sharif said...

Der Ninot,
End up reading Sherry's post as well, now I am very sure it is good.. and will get the vcd soon..
Thank you for spreading good wonderful film..

ninotaziz said...

Ayoh Wang,
You won't regret it.

Susan at Stony River said...

I would love to see this movie - thank you for sharing your thoughts on it, and what it's about. Two of my kids have autism and I wonder about their futures, their mindsets... and I lived several years in Northern Ireland, so I think this movie would hit home on many levels! It sounds like a treasure.

The kids interruptions made me laugh; I can relate to THAT definitely LOL

ninotaziz said...

Dear Susan,
I hope you get to see it. It was inspiring and hopeful. Definitely one of the best Hindi movie I have seen.

With research that shouts at you, you do not hate once you understand.

Thanks for dropping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails